Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Jalapeños
- 12 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 4 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Bacon bits
- Salt, to taste
- In a skillet on the side burner, or on a grill griddle, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and season with salt. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add the chorizo and cook. Crumble the meat as you go. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Let the chorizo cool to room temperature.
- Preheat half the grill to Medium-High.
- Cut the top ¼ inch off each jalapeno pepper. Hollow out the center and remove the seeds and ribs.
- In a bowl, mix the chorizo and cheese. Stuff mixture into each jalapeno. Place the filled peppers upright in the pepper roaster.
- Place the pepper roaster on the grill over indirect heat (beside the hot burners). Roast for about 20 – 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- When the cheese starts to melt, sprinkle a few bacon bits on top so they melt into the top of the popper.
Tip: Add a smoky taste by placing wood chips in the Stainless Roasting Pan and place the Double Pepper Roaster on top of the chips inside the pan.