The Basic Fish Smoke
The basic fish smoke is something every griller needs to get done before moving into deep territory. This is the most basic way to smoke a fish for some big time flavor profile while getting yourself ready to swim farther into your grilling experience. You can use your favorite fish for this smoked fish recipe. Salmon generally works best. Roughly 4 pounds of fish cut into 3 in. x 4 in. chunks, skin on. This Basic fish smoke can take any normal fish dish and turn it into something amazing.
- 1/4 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 quart of water
- Optional – add 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper for spicy.
FISH SMOKE PREPARATION
- Combine the Marinade ingredients.
- Put the fish in the Marinade – skin side up.
- Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and rinse the fish.
- Pat the fish dry and allow the fish to reach room temperature.
- Set the grill for 150°-175°.
- Put the fish skin side down on the grill.
- Smoke for 2-5 hours or until you like the texture.
Enjoy on a cracker with cream cheese and fresh herbs. Refrigerate after smoking.